In order to raise a bicycle handlebar stem, first determine the size of wrench that is needed to loosen the bolt holding the stem in place. Determine a comfortable handlebar height with help from an experienced bicycle mechanic in this free repair video on raising bike handlebars.
Hi my name is Christian from Mellow Johnny's Bike Shop in Austin, Texas and I'm going to show you today how to raise a handlebar stem. First you'll need to determine what size wrench you need. In this application it's a six millimeter which is most common with this particular design. What you'll need to do is actually loosen that bolt, raise your stem up, somewhere around here you'll find a max height that is based on manufacturer's spec and if you exceed the max height it is going to be unsafe. What you will need to do is once you have located that max height and determined what the most comfortable handlebar height for you is going to be you go ahead and make sure the stem is straight, align that and once you have done that, go ahead and tighten that up and once you have tightened that up you'll be all set. When determining your handlebar height some of the things you'll want to consider is basically in relation to where you are on the bicycle, what type of riding you are going to be doing, whether or not this is going to be comfortable for your back if the handlebars are too low, it's going to put more pressure on your back making it uncomfortable. If the handlebars are too high again it might put some more pressure on your back and you won't have as good of steering. Basically you just need to figure out what would be most comfortable for you and that's how you raise a handlebar stem.
- How Do Bike Pumps Work?
- How to Set Up Mountain Bike Gears
- How to Pedal a Road Bike
- How to Set Up Bike Gears
- How to Unbuckle a Bike Wheel
- How to Adjust a Derailleur
- How to Fix the Brakes on a Bike
- How to Change a Bicycle Saddle
- How to Unbuckle a BMX Bike
- How to Change a Bike Seat
- How to Change the Brake Pads on a Bicycle
- How to Install a Child Bike Seat
- How to Remove a Bicycle's Pedals
- How to Re-Thread a Bicycle Pedal
- How to Raise Bicycle Handlebars
- How to Fix Crooked Bicycle Handlebars
- How to Change Bike Disc Brake Pads
- How to Remove Links on a Bike Chain
- How to Fit a Bicycle Seat