Molds can be found in homes and offices and are often present where humidity, poor ventilation or dampness are at hand. They are usually found in walls, basements and showers. Exposure to mould can cause several unpleasant side effects especially in long-term cases.
Other People Are Reading
Touching or inhaling mould spores from walls or wherever they have proliferated can cause allergic reactions especially in sensitive people. Having allergic reactions to mould is very common. Such reactions can occur immediately or be delayed up to six hours. Examples of allergic reactions include difficulty in breathing, wheezing and other respiratory problems; fever-like symptoms; nasal or sinus congestion; throat and nose irritation; red eyes; sneezing, irritated, watery or burning red eyes; light sensitivity; dermatitis; runny nose; fatigue and headaches.
Infections And Irritation
Individuals with weakened immune systems, particularly those who are immune-suppressed or immune-compromised, are more susceptible to developing infections brought about by mould exposure. Compared to healthier people, those with weakened immune systems are more vulnerable to mould toxins. For example, aspergillus fumigatus causes aspergillosis in the lungs of people who are immune-compromised. When sensitive individuals inhale mould, the mould spores begin to grow in their lungs. Even for non-sensitive individuals, mould exposure can trigger many forms of irritations in the body. Irritation can occur on the skin, eyes, lungs, nose and throat. This can be experienced by both non-allergic and allergic individuals. Mold can also bring about flu-like symptoms such as sinus congestion, coughing, eye irritation and headache, which can all be debilitating to those who are suffering from it. Healthy persons are typically not vulnerable to such infections from mould exposure that is airborne. Molds, however, can cause skin diseases such as yeast infection and athlete's foot, even in healthy individuals. Furthermore, when mould spores come into contact with your skin, they can cause many problems. Red and itchy skin is usually an initial sign of irritation. If mould exposure continues, the redness of the skin may develop into a serious skin rash. If untreated, the sores may begin to appear on the skin's surface.
Asthma And Respiratory Problems
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), a study done by the Institute of Medicine reports that long-term exposure to indoor mould in walls could lead into upper respiratory tract infections, accompanied by excessive wheezing and coughing, or to asthma. Asthma is a disease that affects your lung capacity. The constant inhalation of mould in mould-infested homes or offices can aggravate asthma attacks.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for