Dogs have a tendency to explore the world through taste, and so may chew on or eat plants that are not healthy for them. A number of elements of fruit trees are harmful to dogs if chewed on or swallowed. Many common plants and trees can be harmful to dogs, and you should help your pets avoid them.
Other People Are Reading
Avocado fruits contain a fungicidal toxin called persin, which is considered to be harmless in humans but can cause harm to domestic animals, especially in large quantities. Vomiting and diarrhoea are common clinical signs of persin intoxication from the ingestion of avocado.
The stems, leaves and seeds of the cherry tree can contain cyanide, and this can be toxic during the wilting process. These parts of the cherry tree are poisonous to dogs, cats and other animals. Clinical signs of cherry tree ingestion include dilated pupils, red mucous membranes, difficulty breathing, shock and panting.
The essential oils and psoralens in the bergamot orange are toxic to dogs and other domestic animals. Clinical signs indicating bergamot orange ingestion include diarrhoea, vomiting, photosensitivity and depression.
The fig tree or Indian rubber plant is toxic to dogs through ingestion and skin contact. This plant's psoralen, ficusin and proteolytic enzyme, ficin, are toxic to dogs, cats and other animals. Skin contact can cause a dermatitis reaction in dogs, and ingestion may cause salivation as well as vomiting.
Some species of peach trees contain cyanogenic glycocides which can be toxic to dogs and other animals. The stems, seeds and leaves can contain cyanide during the wilting process. Clinical signs of cyanide toxicity from plant ingestion include red mucous membranes, difficulty breathing, shock, panting and dilated pupils.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for