Mold will grow anywhere conditions allow, including on surfaces in a bathroom. Before you brush off the mould that has started to form around your bathroom's window, consider the possible consequences of mould exposure and take the necessary precautions to protect yourself and others before removing the mould.
Mold Growth Conditions
Mold growth occurs on surfaces such as drywall, wood and grout that have been exposed to water or in rooms with high humidity. Minimise the risk of mould growth in your bathroom by ventilating the room each time after taking a bath or shower. Run the bathroom's fan or leave a window open to eliminate extra humidity. Wipe condensation off the walls, including areas around the windows, using a towel.
Some people have an allergic reaction to mould. Symptoms of mould allergy are similar to those with cold or flu, such as runny nose, cough, sore throat and itchy eyes. Asthmatics can experience a more severe reaction from mould exposure, which manifests itself in chest tightness and shortness of breath. Mold exposure can also trigger a severe asthma episode, requiring immediate emergency medical care.
Additional Health Risks
People may suffer other mould-induced conditions aside from allergic reactions. Mold spores can attach to the interior of someone's nasal cavity, where the mould will grow in a condition called allergic fungal sinusitis, according to the Mayo Clinic. Surgery is one option to remove the growth from a person's nose. People who have cystic fibrosis or asthma may develop a lung infection from mould exposure. Other people who do not have asthma or cystic fibrosis may experience lung inflammation after breathing in mould spores, although the Mayo Clinic says such a reaction is rare.
Removing mould requires care, since improper practices will spread mould spores, leading to more mould growth. Before you start with the removal process, be sure to wear a long sleeve shirt, trousers, rubber gloves, head covering and a face mask to help filter out the mould spores. Before you do anything with mouldy surfaces, spray them down thoroughly with water to keep the mould spores from becoming airborne. Any surfaces that are porous, such as drywall or carpet padding, must be removed since you cannot clean the mould out entirely. For harder surfaces, use a scrub brush and a non-ammonia cleaner to remove the mould. Mix half of a cup of bleach with a gallon of water, then wet the hard surfaces you cleaned with the solution. Make sure the surfaces stay wet for 15 minutes, then rinse the area with clean water and dry the area quickly using towels and fans.