Attics provide the homeowner with another storage area that is typically less damp and dark than a basement. However, attics can also have problems -- such as a musty mould odour -- that are normally associated with basements and cellars. The musty, mould odour can creep down from your attic and take up residence in other areas of your home. The unpleasant odour can also attach itself to items stored in the attic.
- Attics provide the homeowner with another storage area that is typically less damp and dark than a basement.
- The unpleasant odour can also attach itself to items stored in the attic.
Wear a pair of rubber gloves, safety goggles, a long-sleeved shirt and trousers to protect yourself from mould and its spores.
Remove mould and mildew from hard surfaces by spraying the mould with white vinegar and scrubbing with a sponge.
Check the attic for leaks. A leaky roof could cause excess moisture in your attic. If this is the case, mould and mildew will continue to grow and spread in your attic until the leak is fixed.
Examine your attic's insulation for mould growth. If mould is present, cut out and replace the moulded installation.
Look for dead animals -- such as birds or mice -- that may have become trapped and died in the attic. Remove any dead animals and place them in a garbage bag.
Place fans in the attic and allow them to run for several hours. The fans will help circulate the air and reduce the musty mould smell.
Place several boxes of opened baking soda around the attic. Baking soda is an all-natural deodoriser that will absorb odours in the air. Alternatively, place bowls filled with white vinegar or charcoal briquettes in the attic.
- Examine your attic's insulation for mould growth.
- Alternatively, place bowls filled with white vinegar or charcoal briquettes in the attic.
Sprinkle commercial yard and concrete deodoriser granules on the floor of the attic. The granules are recyclable, nontoxic and will remove odours from the attic.
Run a dehumidifier in the attic. Dehumidifiers remove the moisture from the air; without moisture, mould cannot grow. Using a dehumidifier regularly will reduce the amount of mould spores in the air.