What Causes Mold on the Inside of My House?

Written by j. lang wood
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Pin
  • Email
What Causes Mold on the Inside of My House?
Some mould types can be seen with the naked eye, but other types are invisible. (Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images)

Mold can attack any house that sees continuous water seepage and warm temperatures. These conditions favour the growth of mould. Mold reproduces through tiny spores that float through indoor and outdoor air and attach to suitable surfaces to grow. Understanding what causes mould to grow on the inside of your house is the first step in both eliminating the problem and preventing future mould growth.

Other People Are Reading

Signs of Mold

Mold comes in many colours, from white to black. Green mould is also common. You may see fuzzy, white growth on drywall or a granular texture on building materials or furnishings. Some moulds are invisible to the eye, but you can often detect a mouldy odour that tells you mould is present inside your home.

Causes of Interior Mold

Most mould problems inside the house are caused by water seepage through concrete foundations or heavy flooding that carries large amounts of water into the home interior. After the flooding recedes, wall and floor surfaces can remain wet for some time.

Health Effects of Mold Inside Your House

Molds contain allergens that can cause a number of health problems for people who are susceptible. These include throat and nose irritation, coughing, skin rashes, asthma attacks, eye irritation and skin rashes. Molds can also cause serious lung infections,

Removing Mold

When removing mould from inside your house, always wear an N-95 respiratory mask available at home improvement stores and hardware stores. Wear rubber gloves to avoid touching mould on bare skin. Wear goggles to keep mould spores from getting into your eyes. Your first consideration is to stop the water seepage into your home. Repair roof or gutters, plumbing issues, fix cracks in the foundation walls and shop-vac all water out of your home. If you cannot perform large repairs, consult with a contractor. After the water problem is fixed, scrub mouldy surfaces with a hard-bristled brush and 1/4 cup of detergent in a gallon of water. Dry completely. Scrub heavily-affected areas with a solution of 1 cup of household chlorine bleach in a gallon of water, which can be poured into a spray bottle and sprayed on surfaces. Allow it to sit for 15 minutes before wiping it off. Rinse surfaces with plain water, and allow them to dry thoroughly.

Preventing Mold

Always clean up water problems in your home quickly, within 24 to 48 hours, to prevent mould growth. Clean and repair gutters to prevent water intrusion into the house. Adjust soil to draw water away from home foundations. Keep humidity low in your home, between 30 and 50 per cent, by using a dehumidifier if necessary. Serious incursions of mould or recurring mould problems may require a mould remediation contractor.

Don't Miss

Filter:
  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
Sort:
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the eHow.co.uk site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.