What kind of paint roller for interior painting?

Written by matt goetz
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Pin
  • Email
What kind of paint roller for interior painting?
Choose the best paint roller for interior painting to ensure proper coverage and most effective use of time. (Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images)

A paint roller plays an important role in the overall quality of an interior paint job, as well as the amount of time it will take to finish the job. Rolling paint on walls using a paint roller meant for doors, for instance, would take twice the amount of time to finish than necessary. Paint rollers come in varying materials and sizes, each one of which is meant for use on specific surfaces, be they indoors or outdoors. Choosing the right paint roller for an interior painting project ensures adequate paint coverage and the least amount of labour.

9-Inch Roller Handle

Choose a 9-inch roller handle made of steel. The larger size of a 9-inch roller spreads paint onto walls faster than a 7-inch roller. The plastic end of the roller handle should include a threaded opening for insertion of a painter's extension pole, or choose a handle equipped with a push-button locking feature. The locking feature allows you to quickly attach and reattach the roller handle to the extension pole without manually twisting the handle.

Roller Material

Use a synthetic paint roller to apply latex or water-based paints indoors. Synthetic paint rollers consist of nylon or polyester materials and work best for rolling thin water-based paints onto walls and ceilings. Select a natural-fibre paint roller for thicker, oil-based paints. Common paint rollers made of natural fibres include lambswool and Mohair. Lambswool holds more paint and reduces paint splatter during application. Mohair rollers are useful for painting interior doors and applying varnish.

1/2-Inch Roller

The 1/2-inch-nap roller size is recommended for painting smooth wood, drywall ceilings and walls indoors. The 1/2-inch size of the roller nap spreads paint nicely over smooth surfaces without leaving heavy stipple in the paint finish. Heavy stipple in a paint finish is highlighted when shiny paints are used, which makes the tighter stipple of the 1/2-inch roller ideal for applying a shiny eggshell or satin paint. The 1/2-inch-nap paint roller is the most common roller size for interior painting.

3/4-Inch Roller

A paint roller with 3/4-inch nap is suitable for textured walls, plaster walls, fireplace bricks and interior concrete surfaces. The thicker hairs in a 3/4-inch roller holds more paint and spreads paint faster over rough surface, filling in tiny crevices and pockets found in old plaster walls. The thick roller hairs leave a heavier paint stipple on walls, making it a poor choice for painting shiny paints on flat drywall and ceilings.

Don't Miss

  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the eHow.co.uk site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.