A labret piercing, or lip piercing, can make it difficult to eat, especially after it has just been done. Although the piercing may cause pain for 6 to 8 weeks, it is unlikely to become infected, since the mouth contains a chemical that inhibits bacteria. However, the swelling and pain of the new piercing can make eating a painful chore. Fortunately, this pain should diminish, and a few simple steps will make eating much easier.
Eat cold foods such as yoghurt and ice cream. This will help ease any swelling and numb any pain. Soft foods are also easier to eat, as they do not require much chewing, Chewing often causes further agitation. Sucking on ice cubes and antibacterial throat lozenges will also help.
Chew slowly and take small bites. The more your mouth is working, the more painful your piercing will be. Small, even chewing movements should help you deal with the pain until your lip has fully healed.
Avoid talking while eating. Keep the movement of your mouth to a minimum to avoid further pain.
Rinse your mouth with mouthwash after every meal. This will help keep it clean and speed up the recovery time.
Be patient. Many people become afraid that the problem is permanent, and prematurely remove the labret piercing. After a few weeks, the pain and swelling will go away.
Things you need
- Antibacterial throat lozenges