An interactive video presence provides a real-time, dynamic feel to a web designer's page. A page featuring live video enhances the chance for repeat website visitors, which will drive up site traffic and increase a website's monetisation potential. A website owner can easily embed a live webcam feed into his website through the use of third-party video streaming services. Several of these services are free to use and may be incorporated into the website without cost to the owner.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Open an account with a streaming video provider. Services such as UStream.tv, Livestream.com and Justin.tv allow webcam owners to open a free account. The service provides a web address where visitors can watch the webcam feed.
Export the embed feed code. Each of the three mentioned services allow account owners to embed webcam feeds into their own sites. Each site hosts a page of directions that describe where to find the necessary HTML code to embed.
Copy the HTML code into your site. Place the embed code into your site's HTML file in the desired location.
Style the appearance of the viewer. Place the HTML code into a div and style the div with CSS style sheet rules. For example, you could use the CSS box shadow rules to cast a drop shadow behind the video viewer.
Promote your broadcast. Use your website and social media networks to promote upcoming webcam broadcasts.
Start broadcasting. Go to your streaming video host's user account page and start your broadcast. The broadcast will now show on both the video provider's page and on your website.
Tips and warnings
- You may choose to broadcast from and embed feeds from multiple video providers. For instance, the This Week In network allows its users to choose from feeds from Justin.tv, Ustream.tv and BitGravity. This allows visitors to choose the feed from the video provider that works best with their computer and Internet connection.
- Depending on the provider, the embed code also includes a chat feature in addition to the video. For example, Justin.tv users are allowed to embed a customisable chat box. This enables visitors to chat with you and others through your website during the webcam broadcast.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for