A mobius is a twisted circle that has only one edge. Knitting a mobius circle is a fun challenge for knitters who want to create an eye-catching garment. Knitted mobius scarves and shawls start with the foundation of casting on. A knitter must know how to cast on specifically in order to create the very shape and twist that creates a mobius circle, and the techniques to cast on a mobius shape are very simple.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Circular knitting needles
Cast the number of stitches required by your pattern onto circular knitting needles using the long-tail method.
Knit into the loop of yarn below the first cast-on stitch. Normally, you would knit into the first cast-on stitch.
Knit into the loop of yarn below each cast-on stitch, all the way around back to the beginning of the row.
Knit into each cast-on stitch as normal.
Finish the pattern as normal. Your circular knitting will have a mobius twist.
Cast the number of stitches called for by your pattern onto circular knitting needles using the long-tail method.
Lay your circular needles flat on a table, and look at the cast-on stitches to see that the stitches are not twisted.
Use your fingers to twist a section of the cast-on stitches 4 inches from the end of the row. Basically, spin the section of stitches once in a full circle around the knitting needle.
Join the cast-on stitches just as you would normally, by knitting into the first stitch on the left circular needle.
Knit in the round to complete the pattern. The mobius twist will become visible after a few rounds.
Tips and warnings
- Do not panic if you do not see the mobius twist right away, or if knitting in the round with a mobius twist feels wrong. Knit a few more rounds and the knitting will take care of itself.
- Knit Culture reminds us that the mobius scarf is "great for both men and women and almost impossible to lose!"
- Make sure to twist the cast-on stitches only one time for Version B. More than one twist will not produce a mobius shape.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for