Wrist cuffs can suit both masculine and feminine looks. A run to your local craft store can inspire a wide variety of wrist cuff styles, from frilly ribbons to masculine faux snake skin. These accessories can be added to T-shirts, dresses and flashy outfits to add zest and sparkle. Use minimal sewing skills to create your own unique wrist cuff masterpiece.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 1-2 feet of 2" wide ribbon in any design
- Measuring tape
- 4 sew-on snaps
- 1-2 feet of lace or frilly ribbon, optional
- Sequins or beads for decoration
Measure the diameter of your wrist and add about 1 inch onto this measurement. Make a note of the measurement as you construct your wrist cuffs.
Cut two lengths of ribbon matching the measurement from Step 1, one length for each wrist. If you are adding frilly lace or extra layers of ribbon, cut out these extras to match the wrist measurement as well.
Singe the ends of ribbon or lace fraying edges using a lighter. Carefully, place the lighter about a 1/4 inch away from the ribbon's end for just a couple of seconds to melt the fibres together.
Sew the sew-on snaps into the ends of both ribbons using a needle and thread. Use two pairs of sew-on snaps for each wrist cuff. Place the accepting side of the sew-on snaps onto the corners of one short side of each ribbon. Be sure these snaps sit on the right side of the ribbon fabric. Sew the inserting sew-on snaps segments onto the opposing short end of the ribbon, but on the wrong side of the ribbon. The snaps should snap into place with the ribbon overlapping by about an inch to fit snugly on the wrist.
Sew on any extras once the foundational wrist cuff has been created. Use a thread and needle to sew frilly lace along the edge of the ribbon on the right side. Or sew beads along the ribbon in a unique pattern.
Tips and warnings
- Use a hot glue gun to glue small, reflective mirrors, large beads or other extras into place.
- Pick a ribbon which matches your personality. Many fabric stores offer faux animal prints, faux leather and furry ribbon.
- Be extremely cautious when singeing the ends of the ribbon.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for