A dream catcher is a form of traditional Native American art. You hang a dream catcher in the area where you sleep. The idea is that it will catch your bad dreams. Once the dream catcher has caught your bad dreams during the night, the bad dreams will evaporate when the sun comes up. You can make a traditional dream catcher out of natural materials or use manmade items. Regardless of which you choose, in designing your dream catcher, express your feelings about dreams and use materials that please you in creating this personal work of art.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Thin metal or wooden ring or hoop, anywhere from 3 to 12 inches in diameter
- Leather or suede lacing
- Thread, leather lace, silk cording or a similar material
- Beads and feathers
- Other embellishments of your choice
Tie one end of the suede or leather lacing to the top of your ring. Leave a tail at least 4 inches long to hang your ring from.
Wind the suede tightly around the ring so that you completely cover the ring in suede.
Knot the two ends together when you reach the top again. This knot will give you a way to hang your dream catcher.
Tie one end of your thread to the top of your ring.
Loop the thread around the ring loosely, leaving about 2 inches of slack thread between each loop. Keep the loops evenly distributed around the ring. The number of loops you make will depend on the size of your ring.
Loop the thread through the centre of the first loose area of thread that you left and pull it tight.
Add beads by stringing them onto your thread as you loop.
Continue looping the thread through the centre of each loose area, pulling tightly each time. This looping makes a symmetrical design.
Tie a knot when you finish and clip the thread.
Tips and warnings
- Use the leather cording to hang beads and feathers from the bottom of your dream catcher and add any other embellishments of your choice.
- Do not break your thread or leather lacing by pulling too hard.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for