Cockroaches can become a problem in any structure that has food, water and shelter. Unfortunately for homeowners, this includes kitchens and microwave ovens. In addition to being repulsive, cockroaches can contaminate food and eating surfaces, destroy paper products and emit unpleasant odours. If you have a cockroach infestation in your microwave, take steps to kill the cockroaches and prevent future infestations.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Clean the microwave and the area surrounding the microwave. Cockroaches require food, water and shelter to survive. If you remove their sources of food and water, cockroaches cannot survive. Seal dustbins and bags of food, and clean up crumbs and spills immediately. Eliminate plumbing leaks and avoid leaving open water sources, such as glasses of water or water in a pot on the stove.
Place sticky traps inside and around your microwave. If removing food and water sources does not solve your cockroach problem, you need to trap the cockroaches. Sticky traps are ideal because they do not contain toxic bait, which you want to avoid placing on a surface where you will eventually place food.
Place filled bait stations, available at most grocery stores, in the microwave. Bait used in these stations consists of an attractive food source along with an insecticide, such as abamectin, boric acid, fipronil, hydramethylnon, indoxacarb or imidacloprid.
Tips and warnings
- Cockroaches are entering your home from the outside. To prevent future infestations, seal cracks, conduits and areas under doors, and fix any structural flaws. Maintain good sanitation.
- Cockroaches that come into contact with human excrement in sewers or with pet droppings may transmit bacteria that cause food poisoning. Therefore, do not use your microwave while it is infested, and clean the microwave thoroughly as soon as you have eliminated the infestation.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for