A power surge is effectively a voltage increase in a home's electricity supply. This can be the result of voltage spikes from the electricity company, lightning or -- most commonly -- large appliances overloading the electrics. A power surge can severely damage some of the most expensive appliances in your home, so it is imperative that you take steps to prevent one from occurring.
Have a surge protector installed on the most powerful electrical appliances in your home. This is an appliance designed to protect electrical devices from voltage spikes.
Ensure that each major appliance in your home -- washing machine, dryer, dishwasher -- is plugged into its own dedicated power source in your home. Power surges are often caused by overloading one power source.
Ascertain which appliance -- if any -- is responsible for causing the power surges by switching off the major appliances in your home and then switching them on again, one by one. If one appliance is clearly the cause of the problem, then you should call an expert to look at the product and determine whether rewiring or replacement is necessary.
Call a certified electrician to have a look at the electrical system in your home and troubleshoot the problem if you have carried out the previous steps and still cannot determine the cause of the surges.