Hamsters are a type of rodent that make good beginner pets because they take up little space, are low cost and can be tamed easily. The Syrian breed, known for its golden colour, is one of the most popular hamster breeds and will live about two and a half years. One of the items you need when caring for a hamster is hamster bedding. These furry creatures need a place where they can make a nest, hide food and use the bathroom. While hamster bedding is available at pet stores, if you are in a pinch or would like to save money, you can use shredded paper instead.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Plain paper
- Paper towels
- Tissue paper
- Unscented toilet tissue
Shred plain paper in a paper shredder and use this as hamster bedding. Shred plain, unscented paper towels as an alternative. This type of bedding gets wet easily and does not absorb liquid as quickly as commercially available hamster bedding.
Remove shredded paper as soon as it becomes damp and replace it with new bedding material. Hamsters thrive in a clean, dry environment.
Add shredded tissue paper, unscented toilet tissue or recycled paper to store-bought bedding to give your hamster some extra inexpensive nesting material.
Tips and warnings
- Do not use shredded newspaper because the ink may be harmful to your hamster.
- Do not use fabric material like shredded cotton T-shirts for your bedding because the hamster will not be able to digest this material and threads from material can get wrapped around the hamster's limbs and cause injury.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for