Some wireless carriers do not allow their customers to "tether" their devices for 3G access on a laptop. If you have an iPhone 4 and want to be able to tether it to your laptop in a public place where you do not have access to Wi-Fi, you may be confused as to how to do so. However, there is a way to enable tethering by way of Cydia, which is available from any jailbreak program. "Jailbreaking" your iPhone is necessary if you are interested in downloading apps from sources other than Apple.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- iPhone 4
- Jailbreak program
- USB cable
- TetherMe app
Use your computer to navigate to the Internet. Find a jailbreak program, such as "redsn0w," "ultrasn0w" or "blackra1n" and download it. Allow it to run and install it on your computer in a place where you can easily access it.
Connect your iPhone 4 to your computer with its USB cable. Install the jailbreak program to your device.
Launch Cydia on your iPhone. The icon will appear on the display screen after the install is complete. Scroll through the choices until you see one that is called "TetherMe." Cydia offers the app for free in its package. Select the app and press the "Install" button to install it on your iPhone 4.
Reboot your iPhone when the install of TetherMe is complete. Go to "Settings," "General" and "Network." Choose "enable" or "Install the Tethering Toggle for SBSettings." You will then be able to connect to the Internet by tethering your iPhone 4 to your laptop.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for
- iPhone Development Talk: TetherMe Gives Internet Tethering on iPhone iOS 4.0.1 for Any Carrier
- Redmond Pie: TetherMe: Enable Native Tethering on iPhone/iOS 4.0.1 Even if Your Carrier Doesn't Support It
- iPhone Techie: TetherMe 2.0-9 Cracked (NEW) - How to Install TetherMe 2.0-9 for iPhone 4, 3GS, 3G for FREE