Feeling panicky comes from a strong sense of fear. Whether the source of fear is rational or not is of no consequence. Panic can cause mental anguish and physical symptoms. Panic attacks were once written off as a bad case of nerves or stress, according to the Mayo Clinic, but they are now viewed as a valid medical condition. A feel of panic can cause a fast heartbeat, breathing difficulty and chest pain, among many other symptoms. Severe repeated panic attacks may require professional help, but there are steps you can take at home to stop feeling panicky.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Guided meditation or deep breathing CDs
- Inositol supplement
Use relaxation techniques to help calm your breathing and heart rate and reduce feelings of stress. Deep breathing exercises, as well as visualisation and yoga, can help. Utilise a meditation or deep breathing exercise CD to guide you through the process of relaxing and managing stress.
Write down your thoughts when you feel panicky to release them from your mind. Set aside a specific time slot to read what you've written down and worry about it then. Doing this helps you take control of worry and anxiety, rather than having it control you.
Take inositol, a nutritional supplement, to help calm you and reduce the length, severity and frequency of panic attacks. Check with your doctor to make sure inositol is a good choice for you.
Tips and warnings
- See a doctor if feelings of panic happen regularly and are adversely affecting your life.
- Limit caffeine and sugar intake as they can make it difficult to get a good night's sleep and can cause blood sugar to rise and fall rapidly, which affects your emotional state.
- Thirty minutes of exercise is an effective natural anti-anxiety treatment. Exercise as many days a week as possible to reduce stress and boost your emotional and physical energy.
- Alcohol may temporarily calm you, but as the effects wear off it can lead to feelings of anxiousness. Cut out or eliminate alcohol beverages.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for