The Persian calendar is used in Iran and Afghanistan. Reconfigured in 1925, it uses a solar year of 12 months that totals 365 days. The Persian calendar, however, does not have regular leap years every four years, making it very difficult to determine the exact Gregorian date based on differing views of when leap years will occur, which are dependent on a 2,820 year cycle. Luckily several online services are available that quickly renders the Persian calendar into Gregorian dates.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Date in Persian format
- Fourmilab's calendar conversion website
Determine the exact date that you are attempting to convert, including the Arabic name of the month. Render the date using the Latin alphabet. Note that no dates before 622 CE occur in the Persian calendar as the calendar dates from the Hidjra.
Load the Fourmilab calendar converter, which can be found in the References below. Scroll down to the section entitled "Persian Calendar" and input the date that you are converting. Avoid using the input area on the right that is in the yellow box. This is a separate algorithmic calendar that is not the official Persian calendar that is in wide use.
Click calculate. Scroll back to the top of the page to the section titled "Gregorian Calendar." Displayed in the grey box will be the date you entered below, converted into its Gregorian equivalent. If a time of day is rendered, it will be on a 24-hour clock. Any number over 12 in the hours spot can be converted to conventional time by subtracting 12 from the number and adding "p.m." to the end of the time.
How to Convert Persian Dates to the Gregorian Calendar
Tips and warnings
- Remember that the Persian new year occurs on the vernal equinox, so two dates occurring in the same year on the Persian calendar may not have occurred in the same year on the Gregorian calendar.
- Make sure you click calculate at the beginning of the third step. Otherwise, the Gregorian date displayed will be today's date.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for