Coenzyme Q10 is an antioxidant with anti-inflammatory properties. Also known as CoQ10, it can treat gum disease as well as improve the overall health of teeth and gums. According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, clinical studies indicate that gum disease sufferers tend to have low CoQ10 levels in their gums and that supplements resulted in faster healing and tissue repair. In addition to taking CoQ10 supplements orally, people with gum disease can apply CoQ10 directly to their gums.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- CoQ10 capsules
Ask your dental health practitioner to recommend a brand of CoQ10. Research different brands and compare prices. CoQ10 usually comes gel capsule form.
Cut a CoQ10 capsule in half with a knife. Squeeze the gel onto your finger or a cotton swab and apply the CoQ10 gel directly to the gums. Or, you can apply the CoQ10 to a soft toothbrush and use the brush to gently spread the gel over your gums. Leave the gel on your gums.
Add CoQ10 to your toothpaste before brushing. Squeeze a bit of toothpaste onto a saucer and break open a CoQ10 capsule. Mix the CoQ10 gel and the toothpaste together with a spoon or toothpick and apply to your toothbrush. Gently brush your teeth with the mixture.
Purchase dental care products containing CoQ10. Some natural toothpastes feature CoQ10 as an ingredient.
Tips and warnings
- Take CoQ10 supplements. John L. Burch, D.D.S., says the standard dosage is 30 milligrams per day. Some doctors may recommend a higher dose, depending on the severity of the gum inflammation.
- Always check with your dental practitioner before using CoQ10 or any other at-home treatment.
- If the condition does not improve or worsens, see your dentist to discuss other treatment options.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for