Cellulite refers to the lumpy skin that appears on buttocks, hips and stomach of many women. Cellulite develops when fat deposits accumulate. While cellulite has no health risks, it makes you to feel self-conscious when wearing form-fitting clothing. Genetic factors determine your likelihood of developing cellulite on the tummy area; however, stress, weight, contraceptives and inactivity also contribute. To get rid of stomach cellulite, you need to exercise daily and examine your diet and skincare routine.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Lose excess weight and strengthen muscles. Regular exercise consists of at least five days of 30- to 60-minute cardiovascular routines to burn fat, and at least three days of strength and resistance training to tighten muscles. While cellulite will not completely disappear, exercise shrinks fat cells and gives your skin a smoother appearance. Incorporating Pilates into your routine makes the abdominal muscles stronger.
Reduce your stress levels by adopting relaxation techniques. Stress increases the level of cortisol in the body, which causes as unsightly belly bulge. Add relaxation activities, such as yoga or t'ai chiexercise routine to manage stress. Other relaxation techniques include deep breathing, visualisation and meditation.
Consume a healthy diet filled with cellulite-fighting foods. Food with a large water content keeps skin hydrated, which reduces the appearance of lumpy fat deposits on the tummy. Eat foods containing vitamin C to keep collagen strong. Collagen is a protein that keeps skin from breaking down. Cellulite-fighting foods include apples, whole grains, brown rice, tomatoes, watermelon and red bell peppers.
Schedule a massage to reduce the appearance of cellulite on the tummy. MayoClinic.com says a vigorous massage increases blood flow and reduces fluid build-up on the belly. Some spas provide massage treatments using a hand-held machine that massages as it rolls over the skin. Massages make skin appear smoother, but are only temporary without proper diet and exercise.
Apply cellulite creams and lotions to your tummy. Topical creams and lotions often contain ingredients such as calcium, retinoids, botanicals and herbs. These products hydrate the skin, making the stomach look smoother. They don't permanently remove fat deposits, so you have to apply them everyday. MayoClinic.com warns some ingredients in cellulite products cause allergic reactions and rashes.
Tips and warnings
- There is no cure for cellulite, so be sceptical of any product claiming to permanently remove it.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for
- MayoClinic.com: Cellulite: Risk factors
- ACE: American Council on Exercise: Exercise and Cellulite
- Balance Body: The Benefits of Pilates
- University of New Mexico: Cortisol Connection: Tips on Managing Stress and Weight, Christine A. Maglione-Graves, Len Kravitz, Ph.D., and Suzanne Scheider, Ph.D., 2005
- Self: Cellulite-fighting foods shopping list
- PDB-101: Protein Data Bank: Collagen