In "The Sims" computer game series, players control virtual people and guide them through the fun and turmoil of daily life. A serial number is required to register and download any "Sims" game or an expansion. Players should first search the inside of the game case or the back of the game manual for the serial number. Serial numbers can also be found on separate sheets of paper or cardboard, especially if the game was shipped. If you cannot find your serial number using these methods, you do have some recourse.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Select "Start" from the desktop and then "Run." Enter "regedit" and click "OK." Select the "plus" sign beside the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" folder. Repeat this process to open "Software," "Electronic Arts" and then "EA Games."
Open the file with the name of your "Sims" game, such as "Sims 2," "Sims 3" or the name of an expansion pack. Beneath this folder, select the "ergc" folder.
Look to the pane on the right of your screen. The serial number for this "Sims" game or expansion pack should be listed. Copy it down. This method of serial number retrieval cannot be used if the game is not yet downloaded, or if it has been uninstalled.
Find Serial Number Through Registry When Game is Installed
Check the receipt e-mail that was sent to you after you purchased your "Sims" game from the EA Online Store. The serial number should be listed within this e-mail.
Check the order history through the EA Store website if you cannot find the serial number in your e-mail. Select "View recent order history and purchase details."
Enter your e-mail address to log into your account. You will now be able to review your order history and look at the details of each game you have purchased, including the serial number associated with your "Sims" game.
Serial Number Retrieval from EA Download Manager
Collect your game's "Proof of Purchase", which is located inside of the game manual. If you do not have a manual, take a photograph of your game disc to show proof of ownership.
Write a money order or check, payable to "Electronic Arts," for £6, the fee as of May 2011. In your written request, explain why you need a replacement serial number. Include your full name, phone number, e-mail address and return address in your request.
Send all of the documentation you have collected to:
Electronic Arts Warranty Department
9001 N I-35 Suite 110
Austin, TX 78753
Replacing a Lost Serial Number
Tips and warnings
- If you purchased a "Sims" game and never had a serial number, contact the store where you purchased the game for more information.
- Register your game on the official "Sims" game website to store the serial number. Once logged in, select the "add your product serial number here" link.
- If you purchased your game less than 90 days ago, and you have an illegible or invalid serial number, follow the steps outlined for the "Replacing a Lost Serial Number" section. You do not need to send a check or money order for this service. Explain your situation in your written request.
- Do not remove or alter anything in your computer's registry. This could have harmful effects on your computer.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for
- EA Support: How do I retrieve my Sims serial number after I have already registered on the site?
- EA Support: Where is the serial number for my game?
- EA Games: How do I obtain a replacement registration code?
- EA Support: Where can I find the serial number for my EA Download Manager purchase?
- EA Support: How can I find my serial number for the EA Download Manager version of Mass Effect?