Dressing up for Halloween is not just for you and your family. If you have a four-legged friend in your home, create a Halloween costume for him to wear. For example, if you have a dachshund, create a Slinky costume modelled after the slinky toy in the "Toy Story" movies. To create a Slinky dog costume, you need little more than a dog sweater and some rope. The finished product takes little time to create and helps your dog look as dressed up as you this Halloween.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 1/4-inch-wide cotton rope
- Grey fabric dye
- Dog sweater
- Hot glue
- Green dog collar
Dye a length of 1/4-inch-wide cotton rope using grey fabric dye. The length of rope you need depends on the size of your dog. Measure the circumference of your dog's belly. Multiple that measurement by 10 to determine how much rope you need. Prepare the dye according to the package directions. Although directions vary based on manufacturer, in general, boil 1 gallon of water over high heat. Dissolve one box of fabric dye in 2 cups of water. Once dissolved, add it to the boiling water and stir to combine. Turn the heat off. Wet the rope under running water and add to the dye mixture. Leave it to sit for 20 to 30 minutes or until you achieve a deep grey or silver colour. Remove the rope using a pair of tongs and rinse it under warm water until the water runs clear. Hang the rope up to dry.
Place a dog sweater on your dog. Choose a sweater in a solid black colour. If black is not available, dye one black using fabric dye.
Apply a dab of hot glue to one of the ends of the rope. Allow the glue to cool slightly before pressing it to the back, top edge of the dog sweater. Wrap the rope around your dog's body in a spiral pattern. Every 6 inches, apply another dab of glue. Allow it to cool to the point where you can touch it and then press against the fabric. Allowing the rope to cool keeps your pet protected from burns. When you reach the opposite edge of the dog sweater, glue the end and cut away any excess.
Place a green collar on your dog to finish the look.
Tips and warnings
- To help people recognise your dog's costume, dress the rest of the family as the characters from the movie, such as Buzz Lightyear, Woody or Jesse.
- The costume is easiest to identify on a dachshund; however, it works for any breed of dog.
- If you choose to make the costume for a dog with pointed ears, create a set of dachshund ears using felt cutout ears glued to a small headband.
- The metal tip of the hot glue gun and the heated glue itself are incredibly hot. To avoid injuries, do not touch either until they cool.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for