Camp gadgets are useful inventions constructed mostly from materials found around a campsite. The idea of a camp gadget is to build something helpful like a table or chairs from supplies that are already at the camping location. On-site sourcing and construction reduces the amount of material that needs to be packed and transported. Most camp gadgets are constructed from fallen tree branches and twine or rope. You can design and make a camp gadget that makes life in the outdoors more enjoyable.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Pencil and paper (optional)
- Rope or twine
Search for natural supplies on the grounds surrounding the campsite. Straight branches longer than five feet and around two or three inches in diameter are excellent material for constructing a camp gadget. The "Y' shape of a dividing branch is often used to support the weight of another branch.
Assemble and organise the found supplies to come up with ideas for the camp gadget you want to make. Consider the needs of the campers and how the gadget could best benefit the situation. Sketch plans if others are helping you so they understand the design and concept of the camp gadget.
Cut the branches to the lengths you need for the camp gadget. Hold cut pieces next to those you are about to cut to get them about the same length. Cut angled ends on the branches that will be sticking into the ground.
Connect the parts of the camp gadget with the rope or twine by wrapping around all sides of where they connect at least twice. Tie double knots to hold the connections together securely.
Test the camp gadget thoroughly before introducing it to the other campers. Modifications and additional support may need to be added to the preliminary design before it can safely be used.
Tips and warnings
- Disassemble the camp gadget by pulling off the rope or twine when the campsite is being cleaned at the conclusion of the visit. Return the found items to the areas they were borrowed from.
- Instruct the campers on the dangers of improperly using the camp gadget to avoid injury.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for