Vertical ridges on your thumbnails and fingernails can be caused by numerous reasons such as malnutrition, lack of moisture or possible underlying diseases. As you age, the occurrence of ridges will increase. The complete removal of ridges will not happen overnight. There are a few things you can do to make your thumbnails and fingernails look better and prevent ridges in the future.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Eat a healthy diet rich in vitamins A, B-12 and C, calcium and biotin. Some examples of vitamin-rich foods are walnuts, peanuts, bell peppers, broccoli, tomatoes, potatoes
Drink at least eight glasses of water a day. A lack of moisture, including moisture on the inside, is one cause of ridges in the nails. Keep yourself well hydrated.
Wear gloves when gardening or doing work that could damage your nails. When washing dishes, wear rubber gloves. Having your nails in water for a long time can contribute to ridges and poor nail health.
Take care of your nails and be gentle when doing so. Trim your nails frequently, and when filing, always file in one direction -- never back and forth.
Apply a lotion moisturiser to your nails throughout the day and at night before bed. To increase moisture retention, wear thin moisture gloves at night after applying lotion.
Tips and warnings
- Check with your doctor to eliminate any medical conditions that could be causing the ridges.
- Vitamin supplements can also be taken to increase nutrient intake.
- A clear nail polish or strengthener is a good way to protect your nails.
- Do not bite or pick at your nails, as this can contribute to possible nail infection.
- Avoid using nail polish remover more than once a week.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for