A Skype name is a unique ID that is associated with a specific Skype user account. Although you can change the full name associated with the account, you cannot change your Skype user name. Multiple people cannot share a Skype user name, even if they share a full name, making a Skype name a foolproof way of identifying a person on Skype. However, unlike other instant messaging programs, Skype lists your actual name rather than your Skype user name in front of your posts, so if you've enabled automatic logins, it takes a bit of searching to find.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Go to the Skype website, then click "Sign in" at the top.
Click "Forgotten your Skype Name?" underneath the Skype name text field.
Enter the email address you used to create your Skype account. Click "Get Skype Name."
Check your e-mail for an e-mail with the subject "Your Skype Name token." Open the email, and click on the temporary code link. You'll get your user name.
Click the second link if the first does not work. Then on the next page, enter the code from the email where prompted.
Tips and warnings
- It can take up to half an hour for the name e-mail to show up in your inbox.
- If you can get in to Skype via automatic login, you can find your name listed under your profile. Click "File" > "Edit Profile." Your Skype ID is listed at the top of the page.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for