Welding a loop on the end of your fly line has numerous benefits. The loop makes it easy to change leaders without tying knots. Most commercial leaders come with a loop for standard loop to loop connections. The connection is smooth and the lack of tag ends on the line means it is not likely to jam in the guides on the rod. Creating the fly line loop is easily accomplished by a single person with a few cheap tools.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Heat shrink tubing
- Heat gun
- Fly line
Slide a piece of heat shrink tubing over the end of the fly line. Push the end of the line back into the tubing to create a small loop. Use one inch of overlap for a strong connection. Make simple adjustments with your hands to shape the loop to your standards.
Plug the heat gun into the wall and turn it on a low setting. Hold the fly line and apply the heat to the shrink tubing. The heat will melt the fly line coating. Stop the heat when it is obvious the coating is binding.
Stop the heat and allow the line to cool. Once it is cool enough to touch the welded area, use scissors to cut away the tubing. Peel away any tubing that the scissors will not remove.
Inspect the welded section for a smooth connection. The line should appear to be on thick piece without any separation. Make a loop to loop connection with a leader and pull on the leader to test the strength of the loop.
Take the line fishing and monitor the leader for breaks in the welded area. If the area begins to separate, it must be rewelded on a higher heat setting.
Tips and warnings
- Use a separate piece of fly line to create the loop if you want it to have a different colour than the fly line. Also use a longer overlap to increase the strength of the loop.
- Do not attach a leader until the loop is welded and cooled. The heat gun may cause leader material to melt or to catch fire.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for