Pineapples are high in vitamin C and dietary fibre. Pineapples do not continue to ripen once they are removed from the plant. After you select a ripe pineapple, it needs stored properly to keep it fresh. Pineapples are highly perishable and do not last long at room temperature. Buy a pineapple only if you plan to use it soon to prevent eating low quality produce.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Airtight container
- Freezer containers
- Pineapple juice or sugar syrup
Store a fresh pineapple at room temperature for two days. Pineapples perish quickly when left at room temperature and will begin to ferment.
Place the pineapple inside a plastic perforated bag. Store it in the refrigerator in the fruit bin to extend the shelf life to three to five days.
Cut fresh pineapple and store it in the refrigerator in an airtight container. Use the pineapple within two to four days.
Place freshly cut pineapple into freezer containers. Cover the pineapple with pineapple juice or a syrup solution. Make a simple syrup solution by combining 2 cups of white sugar with 4 cups of cold water. Store the pineapple for up to six months in the freezer.
Tips and warnings
- Select pineapples that appear orange in colour with bright green leaves. Fresh pineapples will have a strong sweet scent.
- Frozen pineapple will lose some of its flavour or texture when frozen.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for