All Toyota Camrys have positive crankcase ventilation valve on their engines. The PCV valve is designed to recycle unburned gasses out of the crankcase and back into the combustion chamber. This process gives the unburned gasses another opportunity to ignite. Over time, excessive use can cause the ball inside of the PCV valve to stick and prevent the unburned gasses from getting into the combustion chamber. Once the ball sticks, replace the PCV valve as soon as possible.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Needle nose pliers
- Clean rags
- New PCV valve
Park the Toyota Camry on a level surface and engage the parking brake. Open the bonnet and prop it up with the locking rod. Wait an hour or two for the engine to completely cool down.
Inspect the valve covers on both sides of the engine and locate the PCV valve that is inserted into the valve cover. The PCV valve for V6 engines is located in the centre of the rear valve cover. The PCV valve on four-cylinder engines is located in the centre of the valve cover.
Grab the top of the PCV valve and pull it straight out of the rubber grommet. Twist the hose off of the other end of the PCV valve with your hands. If the hose is stuck, use pliers to twist and pull the hose off of the PCV valve. Discard the valve.
Wipe the area around the inside of the rubber grommet clean with a rag. Push the larger end of the new PCV valve into the rubber grommet with your hand. Attach the hose to the other end of the PCV valve. Twist and push the hose at the same time to get it all the way onto the PCV nipple.
Tips and warnings
- Most all auto parts stores sell PCV valves for all Toyota Camry model vehicles.
- To test a PCV valve, shake it back and forth with your hands. If you can hear the ball inside of the PCV valve rattling, then the PCV valve is good. If you cant hear the ball rattling, then the PCV valve is bad.
- Make sure that the engine is completely cooled down before working inside of the engine compartment. Serious burns can result in working around a hot engine.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for
- " Toyota Camry Haynes Repair Manual covering all 2002 through 2006 models of Camry, Avalon, Solara and Lexus ES 300/330 (Does not include information specific to the 2005 and 2006 3.5L V6 engine);" John Haynes; 2007
- " Toyota Camry Haynes Repair Manual covering Solara ('99-'01), Camry ('97-'01), Avalon ('97-'01), and Lexus ES 300 ('97-'01);" John Haynes; 2002