Dogs suffer from dry, flaky skin just as human do. The symptoms can be the result of poor diet, allergies, too much bathing, medications or medical problems. But in most cases dry skin can be improved with a better diet and proper grooming. Cod liver oil is one way to help improve the skin of a dog and give him a soft and shiny coat.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Cod liver oil or cod liver oil capsules for dogs
Give the dog cod liver oil. The Healthy Oil Planet website suggests adding 1 teaspoon of cod liver oil to the food of dogs 24.9 Kilogram or more; 1/2 teaspoon for dogs 9.07 to 24.9 Kilogram; and 1/4 teaspoon for dogs less than 9.07 Kilogram. Cod liver oil is a natural source of omega-3 fatty acids. This fatty acid is important for a dog's skin health. The oil helps to keep the dog's skin and coat soft and shiny.
Give the dog cod liver oil supplements made for dogs. This is an alternative to the cod liver oil. Put the capsule in the dog's food bowl or feed it to him stuffed in a small piece of food he enjoys.
Break open or puncture a cod liver oil capsule. Pour the contents onto the dog's food. This is another way to give your dog the omega-3 fatty acids it needs to treat dry skin.
Tips and warnings
- Look for cod liver oil made for dogs. These are safe, according to the Healthy Oil Planet, because they don't contain the flavourings added to cod liver oil for human consumption.
- Unless your dog develops an adverse reaction to the cod liver oil or your veterinarian advises against using cod liver oil, small amounts given on a daily basis are suitable for longterm use, even through the life of a dog.
- Talk to your veterinarian before giving your dog cod liver oil.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for