Bulldogs are naturally very sedate creatures not prone to exercising, which can result in weight gain. But digestive, metabolic and neuromuscular disorders can cause loss of appetite and weight loss in any dog. Should your bulldog need to gain weight, there are a number of methods you can employ, but the bottom line is your dog needs to consume more calories than it is burning off---and a fat ball will do the trick.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Fat ball recipe
- Large bowl
- Mixing spoon
- Waxed paper
Take your bulldog for a veterinary checkup to ensure it is not losing weight due to disease, such as pancreatic insufficiency, cancer or heart disease.
Make "fat balls," or other recipes that will increase your dog's weight quickly. Numerous fat ball recipes are available, which will prevent your dog from becoming bored with the treat. Try making a fat ball --- or a fat log --- out of 2 cups of dry dog food, two packs of cream cheese, 1 1/2 cups of peanut butter, 1/2 cup of corn oil, 1 cup of cottage cheese and 1 pound of browned hamburger. Crush the dog food with a mallet and put the ingredients in a large bowl. Mix until doughy and add more dog food if the consistency is too thin.
Place waxed paper on your kitchen counter top and place the mixture on the paper. Roll the mixture into a large log shape and refrigerate until firm. Feed your bulldog a slice or two of the log each day for quick weight gain.
Tips and warnings
- Assess your dog's body weight by feeling the animal's ribs. An overweight dog has a sausage-like appearance with no visible rib and hip indentations, whereas an underweight dog has no muscle on the bone and ribs are highly visible.
- Have blood tests performed to determine if the dog is deficient in substances that result in appetite loss. Supplements for dog weight gain contain vitamins and minerals that stimulate the appetite.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for