You can paint over a surface of polyurethane varnish if you prepare it properly. Polyurethane is typically hard, durable and glossy, and it is these qualities that make a finish vulnerable to chips and flaking. You don't have to remove all the varnish before you start painting. Preparation will pay off in the long run by providing a long-lasting finish.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Clean, lint-free cloths
- White spirit
- Wood filler
- Protective face mask
- Fine-grade sandpaper
- Liquid sandpaper (optional)
- Oil-based primer
- Oil-based topcoat
Clean the surface with a cloth dampened with white spirit. Fill chips, holes or other damage with wood filler.
Sand the surface with fine-grade sandpaper. Wear a protective face mask; dust from polyurethane varnish is toxic. Roughen the surface enough so the paint will adhere to it. Remove dust with a clean cloth and white spirit. Alternatively, use a liquid sandpaper that will dissolve the gloss surface of the varnish. Follow the manufacturer's directions.
Apply a coat of primer to the wood. Don't skip this step; primer provides the proper surface to which a topcoat will adhere; it also disguises areas of filler. Allow to dry overnight.
Paint on the first application of a topcoat. Let it dry overnight, then lightly sand and wipe the surface with a clean cloth and white spirit.
Apply the second coat of topcoat. Allow the surface to cure for 72 hours before handling it or placing objects upon it.
Tips and warnings
- Avoid "one-coat" paints; they are expensive and do not provide a long-lasting finish.
- If you do inadvertently sand back to the wood, you need to make sure that your primer is capable of stain-blocking, as natural wood can bleed resins that will force their way to the surface and spoil the painted finish.
- Make sure your work area is well-ventilated.
- Dispose of used cloths carefully, as they are flammable.
- Do not use latex or water-based paint over polyurethane; the finish may crackle and it would be difficult to remove the paint.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for