Yellow pine grows abundantly in the southern United States and is readily available for flooring, cabinetry and trim wood. Relatively inexpensive when compared with a hardwood, like English walnut, you may install yellow pine in your home and stain it to match the more expensive wood. English walnut wood stain imparts a deep golden hue when applied to yellow pine; but before you can stain the pine, you'll have to treat the wood with a special penetrating sealer. Yellow pine contains a natural resin that resists uniform staining unless treated.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Protective goggles
- Protective gloves
- Sanding sealer
- 220-grit sandpaper
- English walnut wood stain
- Stain applicator
- Absorbent rags
Don protective gloves and protective goggles. Brush on a liberal coat of sanding sealer, sometimes sold as "pine sealer," on all surfaces of the wood. Let the sealer soak in and dry completely.
Sand the wood with 220-grit sandpaper to remove surface roughness caused by swelling of the wood grain during the application of the sanding sealer. Use light back-and-forth strokes in the direction of the wood grain.
Apply the English walnut wood stain with a stain applicator, covering an entire section at once. If you're staining a wood floor, you'll apply the stain to an entire wood plank. If you're staining cabinets, do a whole door or drawer front at once. Stopping and starting can leave lap marks in the wood.
Wipe off the English walnut wood stain after a few minutes. If the pine isn't dark enough yet, reapply the stain and wait a few minutes more.
Stain the entire wood surface, one section at a time, until all the yellow pine is a deep golden colour.
Tips and warnings
- Apply a finish coat, such as lacquer or shellac, over the stained wood to protect it.
- Lay out wet stain rags to dry before throwing them away in an outdoor trash container. Bunched up wet stain rags can burst into flame.
- Apply stain in a ventilated area and wear splash-proof goggles and rubber gloves.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for