Instead of spending a fortune on a store-bought Egyptian costume that you may never wear again, think of making one instead. Whether you want to be Cleopatra or King Tut, there are just a few basic materials, most found at the local craft store, that can help you create a costume that looks like it was purchased in a costume shop. Best of all, no sewing is required.
Things you need
Queen size white sheet
Fabric or hot glue
4 to 5 yards gold sequin trim
Blue eye shadow
Black eye liner
Hair clips or hair pins
Black shoulder length wig
Gold or black tank top or undershirt
Gold or black leggings or tights
40 to 50 inches gold cord
Fold the white sheet in half width-wise. Measuring from elbow to elbow, cut off fabric on either side of the sheet that extends past the elbow length.
Cut a U-shaped opening for the head and neck in the middle of the top crease. Start with an opening 5 inches wide, cutting more depending on the size of the head.
Glue the gold sequin trim along the bottom hem and the neckline of the fabric.
Apply blue shadow generously on the eye lid, extending the eye shadow to the bottom edge and sides of the eyebrow.
Apply black eye liner around the top and bottom eyelashes, extending the eye liner out in a U-shape to the outside of the eyebrow.
Secure your natural hair against your head with pin curls or a braid. Secure the black wig on top of your hair with hair clips or hair pins.
Dress in the gold or black tank top or shirt and the gold or black leggings or tights to cover any gaps that might show at the sides of the white dress.
Drape the white dress over underclothes. Secure the dress with the gold cord by tying it around the waist. Allow the extra length of cord to hang loose at the front of the dress. Finish the costume by donning the gold sandals.
- Other optional accessories to an Egyptian costume might include a gold snake arm band, gold bracelets or a gold necklace. The dress can be altered to create a men's style by shortening the width of the dress, thereby giving creating a tunic instead of a dress. The blue eye shadow and black wig can also be eliminated for a men's look.
Tips and Warnings
- Other optional accessories to an Egyptian costume might include a gold snake arm band, gold bracelets or a gold necklace.
- The dress can be altered to create a men's style by shortening the width of the dress, thereby giving creating a tunic instead of a dress. The blue eye shadow and black wig can also be eliminated for a men's look.
Things you need
- Queen size white sheet
- Fabric or hot glue
- 4 to 5 yards gold sequin trim
- Blue eye shadow
- Black eye liner
- Hair clips or hair pins
- Black shoulder length wig
- Gold or black tank top or undershirt
- Gold or black leggings or tights
- 40 to 50 inches gold cord
- Gold sandals