Making your own skincare products allows you to choose high-quality ingredients and to experiment until you develop a formula that bests suits your skin. Ingredients are available at health food stores and online stores. The equipment needed is minimal, and the technique simple. Choose a natural oil like olive, almond, jojoba or avocado oil as the basis for your anti-ageing face cream. Use beeswax -- a natural wax -- to emulsify your cream. Add antioxidant essential oils such as lavender, rosemary, frankincense or myrrh essential oils. Glycerine, aloe vera gel and shea butter help to repair the skin barrier and eliminate dryness.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Double boiler or small bowl and small saucepan
- Measuring spoons
- Mixing spoon
- Hand-held stick blender or immersion blender
- Small glass jars with screw-on lids
- Tea towel
- 4 tsp beeswax
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp shea butter, mango butter or another oil, such as jojoba
- 8 tbsp water or green tea
- 1 tbsp aloe vera
- 1 tbsp glycerine
- 10 to 15 drops of essential oil
Wash all your equipment and the small jars and lids in hot soapy water. Rinse with boiling water and allow them to dry on a clean, dry tea towel. It's important to keep everything scrupulously clean because bacteria can ruin your face cream.
Melt the beeswax and oil in a double boiler or a small bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Stir until smoothly combined; then stir in the shea butter until it melts and is completely blended into the wax.
Remove the mixture from the heat. Whip with an immersion blender or hand-held mixer while you add the green tea, glycerine and aloe vera. Keep whipping until the cream has a light, fluffy texture and has cooled to room temperature.
Blend in the essential oil and stir until completely combined. Pour into your prepared jars and seal. This recipe makes approximately 227gr. of anti-ageing face cream.
Tips and warnings
- Lavender, rosemary, frankincense and myrrh essential oils are herbal scents. To make an attractive fragrance, add a few drops of a citrus essential oil and a few drops of a floral essential oil.
- Beeswax comes in beads or solid pieces that can be grated. Either will work in this recipe.
- There are no preservatives in this recipe. Keep unused cream in the refrigerator for up to six months. Use washable or disposable cosmetic spatulas to remove cream from the jar, not your fingers, so that you don't contaminate the cream remaining in the jar.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for