Demodex mites, or follicle mites, are a type of micro-organism that inhabit the follicles and pores on the skin of mammals. Different species inhabit different mammals, including humans, dogs and cattle. The elongated body shape of these mites allow them to live head first inside the follicle of a host, such as an eyelash, and thrive on the cells within the follicle. While these mites live on mammals at all times, improper skin care can result in an overabundance of mites and treatment is required. Rubbing alcohol is a volatile fluid that can treat this problem.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Tea tree oil soap or face wash
- Clean towel
Clean your face thoroughly with a tea tree oil-based face wash. Pat dry with a clean towel.
Soak a cotton ball in rubbing alcohol and apply to affected areas, such as the eyelids. Take care not to get the alcohol in your eyes.
Repeat steps once or twice daily for three weeks, depending on the severity of your condition.
Tips and warnings
- Use tea tree oil shampoo on hair, eyelashes and even eyebrows every day to get rid of mites, according to eMedicine from WebMD. Tea tree oil has strong antifungal and antibacterial properties.
- Wash your face with tea tree oil soap or face wash every day.
- Refrain from using make-up while treating mites and replace old make-up.
- Buy new pillows and wash all sheets.
- Check your significant other and pets for this problem.
- Apply a 50 per cent tea tree oil with Macadamia nut oil to lashes and eyebrows at night.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for