DISCOVER
×

How to kill airborne mold spores

Updated February 21, 2017

Mold and mould spores can be dangerous to your health if they thrive in your home. They can damage human respiratory systems and wreak havoc on those with allergies. Surface mould is easy to see and treat, but airborne mould spores can be more difficult to handle. Some airborne mould spores are already dead, but others need to be killed so they don't reinfect the home.

Use an air conditioner and dehumidifier to keep your house cool and dry. Mold thrives in damp, warm conditions and will die if it dries out. This is particularly important in humid climates.

Run an air purifier with a High Efficiency Particulate Arresting (HEPA) filter in every room in the house. HEPA filters trap mould spores so they can't recirculate. Eventually the spores die. Change the filters frequently, according to the manufacturer's directions, to keep them running effectively.

Vacuum dry mould residue with a vacuum that has a HEPA filter. Dry mould is found on furniture, drywall and other surfaces that are being treated for mould. As the mould dries, it will loosen and become airborne. Catch it before it gets into the air by vacuuming it up.

Warning

Always wear a mask and gloves when handling mould.

Things You'll Need

  • Air conditioner
  • Dehumidifer
  • Air purifier
  • Vacuum
Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article

About the Author

Shara JJ Cooper graduated with a bachelor's degree in journalism in 2000, and has worked professionally ever since. She has a passion for community journalism, but likes to mix it up by writing for a variety of publications. Cooper is the owner/editor of the Boundary Sentinel, a web-based newspaper.