When deciding on a Halloween costume for either yourself or a child, it is all too easy to resort to the classic witch, ghost or monster costumes. Quirky ideas like dressing as everyday objects are getting more popular. One out-of-the ordinary idea is to go as a vegetable, for instance celery. The costume requires very little time and no special skills to make, and will leave you looking original.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Light green long-sleeved top
- Light green trousers or leggings
- Dark green beanie hat
- Light green felt
- Dark green felt
- Light green belt
- Two green pool noodles
- Glue gun
- Staple gun
- Marker pen
Cut each pool noodle in two roughly equal parts.
Draw two flower shapes on the light green felt, one about 10 inches wide, the other about 16 inches wide. Draw another flower on the dark green felt, this one about 20 inches wide.
Cut out all the flower shapes and place them over each other so that the smallest one is on top and the biggest one is on the bottom.
Staple the flower shapes together in the centre.
Bunch the flower shapes up so they come together like a rose. Squirt hot glue onto the end and insert it into one of the pool noodle pieces so that the "petals" stick out.
Repeat steps 2 to 5 with the remaining pool noodle pieces.
Cut 12-inch long celery leaf shapes out of dark green and light green felt and glue them to the sides of the pool noodles. If they seem loose, reinforce them with staples. Staple a leaf shape onto the cuff of your of your long-sleeved green top.
Dress yourself in your long-sleeved top and your green trousers.
Place the pool noodles around the front of your body and fasten them to you with a light green belt. You may need someone to hold the noodles in place while you tie the belt.
Cut foot-long celery leaf shapes out of any remaining dark and light green felt.
Staple the pointy end of each leaf to the brim of the beanie hat.
Add another staple in the middle of the leaf if you want it to stand up.
Repeat steps 2 to 3 until the brim of the hat is covered in leaves.
Cut small leaf shapes out of leftover scraps of felt and attach them to the top of the hat.
Tips and warnings
- Put comfort first: Make sure you can sit down comfortably in your costume and that the leaf shapes don't obscure your face.
- Keep a picture of a celery in front of you while making the costume so the final product is realistic.
- The bottom of celery is white, so wear white socks and shoes.
- Splatter some fake blood on yourself and go as a Bloody Mary.
- Be careful not to burn yourself when using hot glue.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for