Painting plastic objects used to be a fruitless endeavour because many paints did not properly adhere to plastic surfaces. Chipping and peeling were just some of the common problems in the past. However, you can paint plastic toys with Krylon Fusion spray paint because it is specially formulated for plastic objects. It bonds to plastic surfaces and, according to Special Chem's website, it is safe to use on children's toys.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Protective gloves
- Soap and water
- Masking tape
- Adhesion promoter spray
- Krylon Fusion spray paint for plastics
- Krylon Fusion clear coat for plastics
Choose a Krylon Fusion colour for your item. There are approximately 16 colours to choose from at most hardware and paint stores.
Wash the item that you want to paint with dish soap and let it dry.
Sand the item lightly with medium-grit sandpaper and wash it again. Let it thoroughly dry and use masking tape on any areas that you don't want to paint.
Put on a pair of protective gloves. Apply two light coats of adhesion promoter. This product is found in most hardware and paint stores and can be used as a base coat to ensure proper adhesion. Coats dry quickly, but make sure the surface is not tacky before you apply the next coat. Apply a third coat of adhesion promoter.
Wait about three minutes and then spray the item with the first coat of your Krylon Fusion colour. Let it thoroughly dry for about one hour. Spray a second light coat of paint colour and let it dry overnight.
Spray your item with Krylon Fusion clear coat to lock in the paint colour. This is specially formulated to work as a complementary top coat for Krylon Fusion plastic paints and will help prevent chips and cracks in the future. Leave the top coat to dry for about 12 hours before handling.
Tips and warnings
- The object you want to paint should be free of grease, dirt and wax to ensure proper bonding and adhesion results.
- If the spray-bottle nozzle becomes clogged, pull it off and clean with paint thinner or hot soapy water.
- Make sure that any spray-bottle nozzle is facing the object and away from your face.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for