Maggots are the tiny larvae of insects, generally flies. Maggots are capable of breaking down decaying flesh of animals by secreting digestive enzymes. Maggots are even used in medicine by helping to dissolve dead tissues and kill bacteria. Despite their capabilities, maggots can also be quite destructive. Maggots can destroy crops, plants and seedlings. There is also the unpleasant feeling of finding maggots in your trash. There are safe methods of getting rid of maggots, without having to resort to harmful chemicals.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Dust mask
- Garden gloves
- Diatomaceous earth
- Garden fabric
- Spray bottle
- Double-sided sticky tape
- Large cooking pot
- Boiling water
- Empty container
- Trash bag
Use diatomaceous earth, a fossilised product used to kill pests such as maggots. Put on your dust mask and garden gloves.
Apply the diatomaceous powder around your plants, on leaves and on the soil. Pay close attention to the base of your plants, since adult flies lay their eggs at the base.
Remove any dead maggots. Place a garden fabric around your plants to prevent any further infestations.
Boil water in a large cooking pot. Protect your hands with garden gloves to prevent spray back from water.
Sweep maggots into an empty container and pour the boiling water over the maggots. Leave the maggots in the boiling water for a few minutes.
Cool the water and remove the maggots. Place the maggots in a trash bag and throw them out.
Tips and warnings
- Use diatomaceous earth designed secifically for pest control.
- Double-sided sticky tape can be used around the base of your plants to catch maggots. The tape can be discarded after catching the larvae.
- Spritzing your plants before dusting with diatomaceous earth will help the powder adhere to plant leaves better.
- Use diatomaceous earth only on areas affected by maggots.
- Diatomaceous earth will also harm beneficial insects.
- Water must be boiling to effectively kill maggots.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for