Many children turn out at costumed events and holidays in assembly-line costumes bought from a retailer. Though making a costume at home can be daunting, creating an animal-themed one, such as a skunk, is fairly easy. Black trousers and a black shirt with a white stripe down the back can be paired with a black-and-white painted face for a simple ensemble that doesn't "stink."
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Old button-up shirt
- White face paint
- Black face paint
- Paintbrush or make-up brush
- Make-up sponges or cotton balls
- Baby powder or translucent body powder
Wash and dry the child's face.
Dress the child in costume or clothing, and cover with old shirt.
Apply the white paint down the middle of the face with the make-up sponge, starting at about two inches wide. Paint following the bridge of the nose as it comes in, then widen around the edges of mouth, rounding out at the edge of the chin.
Apply the black paint with the make-up sponge, filling in the rest of the face that is not painted white. Paint from the white stripe out to the edges of the hairline, smoothing the paint as you go.
Paint 3 to 4 thin lines on each cheek to represent whiskers, using the white paint and a paintbrush.
Lightly pat a thin dusting of baby powder or translucent body or face powder over the paint to help set it.
Remove face paint with cold cream or soap and water when done.
Tips and warnings
- To make your own face paint, follow the recipe below:
- Black food colouring (or red, green, and blue)
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- 1/2 teaspoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon lotion/cold cream
- Mix lotion, water, and cornflour until smooth. Add food colouring for black face paint.
- If you do not have black food colouring, mix an equal amount of blue, red, and green.
- Use care when painting and mixing the face paint; food colour and face paint can dye clothes (and occasionally skin).
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for