Rickets is an ailment that occurs in dogs when they are not receiving the correct allocation of nutrients, such as vitamins A, D, E or calcium. This is most typically caused by the excessive intake of meat. Left untreated, rickets can result in skeletal abnormalities, such as bowed legs, pelvic deformities and spinal curvature. This disease can be treated, however, so that any adverse effects on your dog's health can be avoided or reversed.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Liquid vitamin D supplements for dogs
- Cod liver oil capsules
Add a liquid vitamin D supplement for dogs. If you are averse to supplementation, increase your dog's exposure to sunlight as an alternative. This is a simple and natural way to ensure that his vitamin D levels rise.
Add cod liver oil to each of your pet's meals. This will add vitamins A, D and E to his diet.
Consult your veterinarian to see if further treatments are necessary. He may be able to prescribe a specific vitamin and dietary regimen for your dog to help meet his medical needs.
Tips and warnings
- Do not exceed one capsule of cod liver oil per day. Excessive intake of cod liver oil can alter your dog's caloric balance and cause weight gain, and can even cause an overdose of vitamin D.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for