The Nintendo DS gaming system, because of its portability, can be taken almost anywhere. The system may be taken along on trips, long car rides or to friend's houses, as long as it has ample battery power. Because the DS is designed to be taken with you, it has a chance of being dropped in water, such as a pool or sink. If this occurs, you may be able to dry out the DS before the water causes any permanent damage.
Remove any game cards that are in the Nintendo DS, and turn the system over. Use a size 00 screwdriver to remove the screw and pull up the battery panel. Remove the battery. If it has got wet, a new battery must be used.
Dry the DS with a soft cloth. Tilt the DS in various directions to get out any water that may have got inside, and wipe up the water that comes out.
Place the DS in an airtight container, and add a silica gel pack, salt or uncooked rice. Silica gel packs are often found in boxes of new shoes, or you can buy them from most garden centres.
If using rice or salt, pour enough into the container so the DS is completely covered.
Close the lid to the airtight container and wait for several hours as the material inside absorbs the moisture. Remove the DS from the container, and insert a new battery. If the original battery did not get wet, you may use it again. Press the "Power" button to test the DS. If it does not turn on, you may need to contact Nintendo Customer Support for repair (see Resources).
A hair dryer with a "Cold" air setting may be used to dry the DS.
Do not try to turn on your DS immediately after it gets wet. This can cause further damage. Do not use a hot hair dryer or microwave oven to dry the DS.
Tips and warnings
- A hair dryer with a "Cold" air setting may be used to dry the DS.
- Do not try to turn on your DS immediately after it gets wet. This can cause further damage.
- Do not use a hot hair dryer or microwave oven to dry the DS.