Motivated to save money, you found mom's old sewing machine. Unfortunately, the instruction manual has disappeared, and you've forgotten how to thread the machine. You can still start sewing right away, and bypass the hassle of ordering a new manual.
Things you need
Spool of thread, standard
Bobbin, pre-wound, seated in bobbin case
Draw out six inches of thread from the bobbin. Pull the thread through the notch closest to you in the bobbin case, around to the left, and through the second notch. Holding the excess thread taut, close the slide plate.
Lift the pressure foot by flipping the lever at the back of the machine. Raise the needle to its highest position by turning the hand wheel located on the machine's right side.
Slide the spool of thread over the spool pin located at the top right corner of the machine. While holding the spool in place with your right hand, draw the thread out with your left, hooking it into the upper thread guide at the top left of the machine.
Guide the thread down and around the tension knob. Pull the thread up, snapping it inside the tension wire loop on the left-side of the knob. Hook the thread inside the wire guide, which looks like a bent paper clip, located directly above the tension knob.
Hook the thread over the take-up lever, which is the metal arm located above the tension knob. Guide the thread down toward the needle, hook it inside the spiral loop mounted on the needle clamp, and then inside the notch just below.
Thread the needle from the front, pulling out six inches of excess thread.
Hold the needle thread taut. Turn the hand wheel toward you until the needle lowers into the bobbin case and rises again. Continue to lower the needle until it emerges with a loop of bobbin thread attached.
- Adjust the take-up lever's position by turning the hand wheel. Hook the needle thread through the notch in the pressure foot and draw both threads toward the back of the machine before sewing. Add spool pin felt under the thread spool for smoother thread release during sewing.
Tips and Warnings
- Adjust the take-up lever's position by turning the hand wheel.
- Hook the needle thread through the notch in the pressure foot and draw both threads toward the back of the machine before sewing.
- Add spool pin felt under the thread spool for smoother thread release during sewing.
Things you need
- Spool of thread, standard
- Bobbin, pre-wound, seated in bobbin case