Handcrafted metal wax seal jewellery is made from a special metal clay. Metal clay is white and easy to mould or shape. It can be found at many local hobby and crafts stores or on the Internet. A standard silver metal clay finished project, ready for firing, is placed in a kiln for two hours at a temperature of 899 degrees Celsius . A 1650 degree Fahrenheit kiln is needed to fire 22 carat gold for 10 minutes. Various brands of metal clay, with differing metal qualities, may require firings as low as 599 degrees Celsius.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Lint-free cloth
- Silver metal clay
- Wax seal stamp
- Waxed paper
- Small coffee straw
- Heat resistant tile
Place a piece of waxed paper over your work area.
Wash your hands thoroughly, using soap and water. Dry with a lint-free cloth.
Roll a one-inch ball of silver clay. Place the ball on the waxed paper. Gently press the ball into a circle, approximately 3/8-inch thick.
Center the wax stamp over the silver metal clay. Press the wax stamp into the clay a quarter of an inch. Remove the wax stamp.
Create a small hole in the top of the wax stamp. Pick up the small coffee straw and centre it above the wax seal impression. Press the end of the straw through the clay. Turn back and forth to cut through the clay. Remove the straw. Allow the clay to lay flat for 24 hours to dry.
Place the dried pendant on a heat resistant tile. Place the tile in the bottom of the kiln.
Set the kiln to 899 degrees Celsius. Set the timer to heat for two hours.
Allow the kiln to cool completely. Remove the pendant from the kiln.
Tips and warnings
- Metal clay has a 30 per cent shrinkage. This is because the water and binder used to hold the metal clay together fires off in the kiln. The integrity of the wax seal will stay intact during the shrinking process.
- Do not over heat the metal clay. Overheating will cause the metal to melt.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for