Essential seasonings both during cooking and at the table, salt and pepper have given rise to a whole industry dedicated to decorative dispensers. The Mexican beer company Corona encouraged a trend when it started marketing perforated plastic caps designed to turn its beer bottles into salt and pepper shakers. You can make your own bottle salt and pepper shakers out of non-twist-lid beer bottles like Corona, nostalgic soda pop bottles, or split-size wine bottles. Look for bottles with original caps that needed a bottle opener for removal or the plastic salt and pepper shaker caps won't fit.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Perforated plastic shaker caps
Purchase shaker caps to fit a standard beer or soda pop bottle. Look for a product called Corona salt and pepper caps manufactured by the beer company or similar perforated plastic caps that snap onto non-screw top beverage bottles.
Clean and sterilise two beverage bottles for each set of salt and pepper shakers by running them through a full cleaning cycle in the dishwasher or boiling them for 10 minutes fully submerged in water.
Dry the bottles overnight or until all the moisture inside evaporates.
Fill one bottle with table salt and the other with finely cracked black pepper. Cap the bottles with the perforated lids.
Tips and warnings
- Look for bottles with integrated labels etched or fused onto the glass. If you want to use bottles with paper labels, pour boiling water through a funnel into the bottles to sterilise them without damaging the labels.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for