There's no one secret to getting into shape. Many different avenues exist to pursue physical fitness. Some people like to lift weights; others prefer running or swimming. For others still, breaking out an exercise bike and cranking out a few dozen miles during the lunch hour is the perfect way to keep fit. If you're into stationary biking, then there are several ways in which you can get fit using an exercise bike.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Exercise bike
- Running shoes
- Exercise schedule
Keep a regular schedule. The most important part of being in shape (which really involves changes in habit) is consistency. Write down an exercise schedule and track your progress. Increase the amount of time you spend on the bike as your stamina gets better.
Start slow and work your way up gradually. If the last time you worked out was in high school, here's a news flash: you're not 18 anymore. Your body can't do some of the things it could before. Take it slow at first, remembering that one of the advantages of an exercise bike is that it's easy on the joints.
Mix up your workouts depending on the desired effect. Let every workout have a purpose. If you want to increase stamina, work in sprints every 2 or 3 minutes. If you want to develop leg muscle strength, turn up the resistance on your bike.
Perform some cross-training. Try recumbent bikes if you've been using an upright. Go for a walk or swim. Change up how you work your body so that it doesn't fall into familiar routines.
Combine your workouts with a healthy diet and adequate rest. All your hard work on the bike will go to waste if you eat candy bars and french fries all day, then stay up drinking late into the night. Maintain a balance in all things.
Tips and warnings
- One of the great things about exercise bikes is the convenience. Many models can be stored in a corner of your house and pulled out whenever you need it. You don't have to go outside in the rain to get fit. You can watch TV or read while working out. Take advantage of these benefits.
- Any exercise program can be dangerous or unhealthy if taken to extremes. Before trying anything too rigorous, consult your doctor for professional advice on how to structure a workout program.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for