How to Cancel a Passport

Updated March 23, 2017

Your passport is required for travelling to international destination. Depending on the foreign regulations, you may be required to carry your password on your at all times. This helps officials identify you, but it also increases the risk having your passport lost or stolen. If you lose your passport, you may need to cancel it to avoid fraudulent use of it. In foreign locations, this is done at the United States Embassy, but you can cancel it over the phone or through mail if the passport is lost domestically.

Locate the U.S. Embassy (see Resources) if you lose your passport overseas.

Call 1-877-487-2778 to report your lost or stolen passport over the phone. You can call Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., Eastern Standard Time.

Download Form DS-64 to cancel your passport through the mail. Send the completed, signed and dated form to the U.S. Department of State (see Resources).

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article

About the Author