Writing on a wedding cake can be incorporated into the design of the cake and used with or instead of floral or other piping choices. To write on a wedding cake, you will need to pipe the words or phrases onto the cake with icing. Names, quotes or a significant phrase or date are popular choices to have piped on your wedding cake. The wedding cake writing can be as subtle or vibrant as you like by changing the colour of the piping icing and the size of the font.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Piping bags
- Royal icing
- Decorating tip
- Piping bag ring
Attach the decorating tip to your piping bag. The decorating tip you choose will be determined by the size of font you wish to use. The larger the tip, the larger the font and the less of a crisp line you will create. A small tip will give you a fine line and works well for more intricate writing styles. Attach the tip with a piping bag ring, insert the tip inside of the bag and push it through hole at the end of the bag. Twist the piping bag ring over the outside of the bag and over the tip. This will securely hold the tip in place while you are piping.
Fill the piping bag with the royal icing. Purchase royal icing or easily make it by combining icing sugar and egg whites or meringue powder. Using royal icing is preferred because it dries hard with a clean matt finish, and doesn't stay soft like buttercream frosting. Before filling the bag, make sure that you have coloured and flavoured the icing to the desired taste and appearance. An easy approach to filling the bag is to hold the bag in one hand and fold the top third of the bag over your hand to form a cuff. Using a spatula scoop in the icing until the bag is about two-thirds full. Unfold the cuff of the bag and carefully twist the top of the bag so that it is closed, this also eliminates most of the air bubbles from the icing so that you get a clean flow of icing.
Pipe the chosen words onto the wedding cake. Start with small strokes, pressing firmly but gently and evenly on the piping bag. Keep the top of the piping tip close to the icing on the cake so that the piping applies as you desire. Pipe one word at a time if you can, especially if you are using calligraphy. If you cannot keep a steady grip on the piping bag, pipe one letter a time.
Tips and warnings
- Practice on a piece of paper or bake a practice cake before you pipe icing on your final cake.
- Give yourself plenty of time so that you do not need to rush or feel pressured while you are working.
- Use a steady surface in a well lit area.
- Place the wedding cake on a turntable so that you can easily turn the cake while you are piping the writing.
- Unless you are already skilled at piping icing, writing on a wedding cake may take you several tries to get right. Do not get discouraged.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for