If you have a room in your home with a 220 volt outlet only, you'll need to convert that voltage to 110 volts to make use of it with your electronic devices. If you travel overseas you'll find outlets with different shapes, sizes and voltages, mostly 220 volt, and these will need to be converted to 110 volt for you to use them as well.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 220 volt outlet
- 110 volt device
- Voltage converter
Determine which devices you plan on using on the converted 220 volt outlet. Obtain the power use specifications for these devices and find the wattage ratings. These can be found in the user manual or printed on the AC adaptor.
Go to the Electronics website listed in the references section for this article and click on the link for "voltage converters." You can query any search engine to find sites that sell voltage converters. From "voltage converters," scroll down below the video box to find different types of voltage converters. Click on "Type 2." Listed are each of the models for Type 2. Using the wattage ratings you found for your devices, double the wattage for each device you to plan to use. You need to order a Type 2 converter with double the wattage of your device. If you plan to use multiple devices at once, do the math to see how many watts you'll need.
Order the Type 2 converter with the appropriate wattage rating for your needs. Check out and wait for the converter to arrive via shipping.
The Type 2 voltage converter you ordered comes with a universal adaptor to be used with American 220 volt systems as well as with European plugs. Plug the voltage converter into your 220 volt outlet, using the universal adaptor if necessary, and then plug your device into the standard plug on the front of the voltage converter. Turn the converter on. You should now have power for your device.
Tips and warnings
- You don't have to order the exact adaptor mentioned in this article. Wherever you buy your voltage converter, be sure to find the right wattage-rated converter for the device you plan to use. For continuous use of a device, you need to double the wattage rating for the converter to ensure ample power based on your device's wattage rating.
- Read the information carefully on any website you buy a voltage converter or transformer from to ensure you buy the correct item with the power ratings you'll need for your planned uses.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for