Trip Trap is an oil flooring finish that protects hardwoods while allowing their natural beauty to show. Trip Trap offers a wood floor protection from spills and wear but retains an anti-slip surface. Finishing hardwood floors with Trip Trap gives them the look of an antique or aged floor rather than the shiny appearance achieved using urethane. As an added benefit, you can refinish only areas that require it rather than having to refinish the entire floor.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Broom or vacuum
- Light tack masking tape
- Low-nap paint roller
- Electric floor polisher
- Polishing bonnets
Sweep or vacuum the floor to remove all dust and dirt. If the floor has a urethane or wax finish, sand the floor to remove all existing finish.
Tape the base mouldings with light tack masking tape around the perimeter of the room.
Apply Trip Trap Master Oil to the floor with a low-nap paint roller. Master Oil acts as a primer for subsequent Trip Trap applications. Begin in a far corner and work your way to the door so as not to paint yourself into a corner.
Allow the primer coat to dry for 24 to 48 hours.
Buff the floor with an electric polisher equipped with a soft bonnet to remove excess oil.
Equip the polisher with a new polishing bonnet.
Pour one to two capfuls of High Solid Master Oil onto the floor surface. Spread the oil with the electric floor polisher. Begin in a far corner of the room. Move to a new area and add more oil as necessary until oil covers the entire surface.
Allow the floor to dry for 12 to 24 hours and repeat the process.
Tips and warnings
- Allow the floor to dry for 24 to 48 hours before placing furniture or carpeting on the surface.
- Store oil soaked rags in a bucket with degreasing detergent and water to avoid a fire.
- Work in a well-ventilated area.
- Wear safety glasses, gloves and a dust mask when finishing floors.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for